Monday, January 18, 2010

mountains

i have started an amazing new journey through a Bible study by Beth Moore. it's called "Stepping Up". i know i have mentioned it lately, but lettmetellyou! it's wonderful!

on day one, we were given a copy of Psalm 121. that chapter is only 8 verses long, and it's our memory verse(s). here's a glimpse of what God has shown me. kinda how this all started ....

"I raise my eyes up to the mountains. Where will my help come from?" Psalm 121:1

have you ever just had it? who hasn't ever felt that way?! part of my job is hearing about everybody's everything. trust me when i tell you i've heard a LOT of things no one should ever tell! this one little old lady especially has some funny stories about when she got married, but that has nothing to do with this. i apologize. i hear a lot at work,and i don't mind it. we really should be made to get a degree in psychology. i have amazing friends, and we share each other's burdens. it's wonderful to know when something be it good,bad,ugly,confusing,hilarious (as in your boyfriend asking what's the cocoon thing on a hanger at a store; meanwhile it's a shirt - sorry i couldn't help but add that KDF),or just when you think you can't breathe because of the news you've heard and you share it and they say, "breathe. you can get through this. just let it set in. give it time." WOW! those are some of the most powerful words ever spoken!

the last month has been crazy! christmas, new years, work, snow, frozen pipes at work so i had to work on my off day to make up for it. this last week has been especially trying. it seems like anything that could go wrong, well just has went wrong, and then worse. thursday evening at work i let something little and ridiculous eat me up all the way home. well, i told my parents i was going to go do my Bible study homework before my sister and her family came over for supper. i locked myself in my room, turned on my favorite praise and worship cd (thanks Kel! still loving it!) and prayed to see something new. WOW! i've always thought i prayed with the expectation of something wonderful happening. it did, and i was yet again amazed beyond amazement. well, the homework for this study goes much quicker than another one i've done before, and i honestly end each one with this thought: "oh crap! i wanted more!". i sometimes go on to the next day for that reason. well, thursday i didn't. just my sister came for supper and we had a great time with her! its been quiet some time since just the 4 of us have been together.

friday morning on my way to work, i took a different route. it's more country/scenic roads, and much more peaceful to me for some reason. as i turned on the road, i realized something. i was completely surrounded by mountains. i know there are mountains all around where i live and such, but then i realized something else. every part of my life is surrounded by mountains.

mountains are rough to climb. trecherous even sometimes. there are bumps, smooth parts, parts that go back down then up. and that's just like the mountains of life. in my mind i'm seeing mountains and one is representing family, others representing work, friends, church, finances, the future. sometimes we don't like the path God has us on. when that happens, we need to remember where our help comes from ....

"My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of Heaven and Earth." Psalm 121:2

you see, as God began showing me this, i heard Him say. "Britt, be still. I am here. I have been, always will be. everything is because of Me. I am your help. stop trying to do it yourself."

friends i have chill bumps right now. i nearly floated all day. i've been praying for awhile for a new song to sing. well, friday evening, my last client was one of my favorite cousins who sings in a southern gospel quartet. he came in and ran right to the radio station, changed the station to a southern gospel one, and theres this wonderful song being sung. one i've heard lately, and i mean it's a good one! he says, "Britt, you gotta get this and sing this! i'll help you find it! i thought this was you!". (this radio station allows locals to have their songs played, but no! i'm not that good!) well, me and him always have such wonderful conversations and the same outlook on lots of things. the last thing i said was, "ive come to accept everything in a new light. it's all God's plan, what's my next step on the journey?" . he said, "me too".

a few hours later, the devil hit me with utter defeat. God has stepped in, and is taking that defeat away. God is helping me be still and quiet. this is not a burden i'm sharing. ive only told a few friends that if they run out of things to pray for,God knows what this is, and pray to Him to help this situation.

i'm not a girl who goes hiking out literal mountains, but friends ive climbed many others. we all have. i hope that you will see them in a new light, and allow God to be your help. He is the maker of Heaven and Earth, and that means you too!

have a fabulous day! Britt

1 comment:

The HoneaBees said...

I just completed this one and it was great! Today we started Beth Moore's "believing God" and the first day is outstanding!
I hope you are getting to see Beth on the DVDs-she's powerful!!
Do you still need the camera strap? I can get it done by the first of next week if you want it.
Just let me know.
sisterbug@bellsouth.net