Wednesday, September 9, 2009

FAMILY

ok ... so my computer is on the total blitz ... kel or t won't be surprised by that : ) i think that's a great christmas present idea for either my parents or myself : ) i had this blog all typed out last wednesday and it didn't post! i just realized that! yikes! so, as i posted in a previous blog - past to the future - my pastor has been preaching an awesome series of messages entitled:FAMILY:an endangered species. in the previous post i summed up part 1 - how to build a 3-d marriage. todays' post will be part 2 and 3 if this computer will allow

FAMILY:An endangered species PART 2 "Do you read me? .... Over"

"My dear brothers, take note of this: everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." James 1:19

*Listen Intently - there are steps of listening. you may hear all day long, but to listen is different.
process the information, give your feeback (only if needed) and then continue.
"If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear." Mark 4:23

it's so hard for me to just listen sometimes. if you know me, as i'm sure 99% of my readers do, you know i love to talk and have good conversation. listening is part of conversation,and it's the part of conversations with my Savior i fail most. i'm working on that ...

*Speak Carefully, but honestly!
Proverbs 13:3 - "He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly wil come to ruin.
this part was not from my pastor, but from my mom. she has always "preached" to me to "think before you speak". she would always remind me that i didn't like to have my feelings hurt, and so i shouldn't want to hurt anyone else's feelings. so thinking before i speak should solve that problem, right? well, this is something I've dealt with a very long time. the above verse, literally made me speechless ... and people say miracles don't happen : )

Proverbs 24:26 "An honest answer is like a kiss on the lips"
my pastor had fun with this one LOL! if you only could know him! he's precious! a jolly, grandfather, retired police captain. he's so in love with his wife and he told the joy of kissing his wife on the lips ; ) it was sweet but hilarious!

but as mom and pastor have preached - think before you speak. just think of the problems that could be solved in any relationship if we just did that simple task?!

*Avoid Angry words - "angry words have wrecked more homes than tornadoes and termites" bro richard

that statement is funny, but so true! he talked about how married people will say, "well next time around i'm marrying someone who makes more money,cooks more, does this, does that, and so on and so forth. the problem is, divorce is a sin. saying things like that to your spouse, a friend, co worker and etc will nearly ruin any relationship

Proverbs 15:18 "A hot tempered man stirs up dissension, but a patient man calms a quarrel."
Proverbs 16:32 "Better a patient man than a warrior, a man who controls his temper that one who takes a city." - how bout WOW to that last verse! patience is something i struggle with. my mom says i'm like my dad, a bull in a china shop. sometimes i just need things to get done,and if something gets broke that i don't need at the moment, ok. then when i need it, uh oh!

I never got to know my mother's mom. ive heard wonderful stories about her, and frankly i wonder if i would be a different person if i had grown up around her. i don't think i would be. where i work now, is my mom's home town. people still remember her. the thing about her death is she's been gone since my mom was 15! that was 35 years ago the end of july! how crazy is that?! she was 41 when she passed away, so she's nearly been gone as long as she was alive. my mom's cousins say mom is a lot like her. quiet, kind, compassionate, a true woman of God. and i'll add an excellent cook, especially the mac and cheese right girls?! ;) One saying my mom has passed form her mom to her kids is this:"If you squeeze all the toothpaste out of the tube, can you put it back? no. that's just like words out of your mouth. once they're out. they're out!"

so, i challenge you, and myself, to listen intently; speak carefully, but honestly, and avoid angry words to those you have any kind of relationship with. show them love and compassion. and if you really are leaning on Christ, patience.

i'll post part 3 later ... just as Mary, the mother of Jesus, ponder the thoughts of HIS birth in her heart ... hopefully this has given you something to ponder

No comments: